Friday, February 5, 2010

Sucess!

So my friend says to me: "Jess! I need an awesome Star Wars cake by tonight at 6 for my son's Blue & Gold Scout auction! Can you make it for me?"

Now before I answer here is what I was thinking: Well, I've never made a cake any fancier than canned icing on a square just-add-water cake. I've also never really got into Star Wars, so I've never paid any attention to the movies, thus, I have no idea what a Star Wars cake should actually look like in order to be cool. I am sick, my 2 son is sick and we have a very messy house and kitchen. I am the last person you would want to make your cake & I have too many other things to do. Oh, and it's already 2 o'clock!

So I tell her: "Sure!"

Off I go to the store. My next stop is the internet for some research. I found some pictures of some truly amazing cakes online and if I wasn't feeling in over my head before, I defiantly am now! I find a few cakes that kind of give me some ideas and some sort of direction, but still without a real plan, I have to get the cake in the oven. While the cake to cooking & cooling, I begin this wild experiment with Starburst candies: I make them gooey in the microwave then roll them out (with a Nalgene bottle, since I don't own a rolling pin!) and stick them all together in this big sugary pancake. I taped the Star Wars logo onto the sugar onto the candy and use my scissors to cut out each letter. Ha! It turned out really cool! So now I have the logo, but I still need a cool cake to go with it.

But I'm getting a crazy idea here: I still have lots of red Starburst left, so I melt them too, and start forming them into facial features for my cake. Here, I had to go find Tyler's movie box & try to emulate Yoda's features from the little picture on the cover. Thankfully, Tyler came home at this point and helped me get all the Starbursts just right to make it look like Yoda and not some lame alien thing. (which to me, is exactly what Yoda looks like, but what do I know?)
I cut the ears out of a second cake that I made, stuck it all together & got my frosting out... but it was white. So I find this really cool neon food coloring and turn my vanilla frosting into Yoda green. Three cans of frosting later, Yoda is nearly finished. I saved a bit of white for his eyes, and then stuck 2 brown M&Ms in for his pupils. I added my logo to the bottom of the tray & sent him off to the Blue & Gold auction.I have to say I am quite pleased with the way it turned out. Not once did I ever imagine the cake would turn out nearly as cool as it did and most of the time I completely lacked direction and inspiration, so I really wasn't very optimistic about the final result. Given more time, I could have done a bit more with it, but I am proud of the product I was able to offer them, even if it meant being a few minutes late to the auction. And I really proved something to myself in the process: that I am capable of stepping up and doing some pretty cool things that I didn't think I was capable of. And I had a blast making it. I enjoy working under pressure and the challenge of creating something new.

So here is the grand total:
  • 1 box of cherry-chip cake mix
  • 3 cans of vanilla frosting
  • 19 yellow Starburst candies
  • 9 red Starburst candies
  • 2 brown M&Ms
  • 3 phone calls to my mother in law
  • 4 hours of frantic baking
  • 4 minutes late to the Blue & Gold auction
  • 1 amazing Star Wars cake, as requested!